Re: test_fsync open_sync test - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: test_fsync open_sync test
Date
Re: test_fsync open_sync test  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Is there a value to this test_fsync test?
>
>     Compare open_sync with different sizes:
>     (This is designed to compare the cost of one large
>     sync'ed write and two smaller sync'ed writes.)
>             open_sync 16k write               242.563 ops/sec
>             2 open_sync 8k writes             752.752 ops/sec
>
> It compares the cost of doing larger vs. two smaller open_sync writes.

Might be some value for determining things like what the optimal WAL
block size to use is.  All these tests are kind of hard to use
effectively still, I'm not sure if it's time to start trimming tests yet
until we've made more progress on interpreting results first.