Re: Review: compact fsync request queue on overflow - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Review: compact fsync request queue on overflow
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Chris Browne wrote:
>       It was a little troublesome inducing it.  I did so by cutting
>       shared memory to minimum (128kB)...
>       With higher shared memory, I couldn't readily induce compaction,
>       which is probably a concurrency matter of not having enough volume
>       of concurrent work going on.

Quite.  It's taken me 12 days of machine time running pgbench to find
the spots where this problem occurs on a system with a reasonably sized
shared_buffers (I'm testing against 256MB).  It's one of those things
it's hard to reproduce with test data.

Thanks for the thorough code review.  I've got a clear test plan I'm
progressing through this week to beat on the performance measurement
aspects of the patch.