Re: LOCK for non-tables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ron Mayer
Subject Re: LOCK for non-tables
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
>> It's a major undertaking trying to write software that runs against
>> PostgreSQL for more than one release. We should be making that easier,
>> not harder.
>
> None of the proposals would make it impossible to write a LOCK statement
> that works on all available releases, [....]

+1 for this as a nice guideline/philosophy for syntax changes in general.

Personally I don't mind changing a few SQL statements when I upgrade
to a new release; but it sure is nice if there's at least some syntax
that works on both a current and previous release.