Re: Add support for logging the current role - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Add support for logging the current role
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 01/14/2011 05:04 PM, Aidan Van Dyk wrote:
> If there is going to be any change, how about using fixed columns (an
> possibly allowing them to be empty for stuff that's expensive to
> create/write), but adding a 1st column that contains a "version"
> identifyer.  And to make it easy, maybe the PG major version as the
> version value.
>
> If the 1st column is always the version,  tools can easily know if
> they understand all the columns (and what order they are in) and it'
> easy to write a "conversion" that strips/re-aranges columns from a
> newer CVS dump to match an older one if you have tools that don't know
> about newer column layouts..

The whole point of having CSV logs is so you can load them into a
database table without needing preprocessing tools. So I'm not going to
be very receptive to changes that are predicated on using such tools.

cheers

andrew