Re: SSI and 2PC - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: SSI and 2PC
Date
Re: SSI and 2PC  ("Kevin Grittner" <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov>)
List pgsql-hackers
"Kevin Grittner" <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:
> In going back through old emails to see what issues might have
> been raised but not yet addressed for the SSI patch, I found the
> subject issue described in a review by Jeff Davis here:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-10/msg01159.php
After reviewing the docs and testing things, I'm convinced that more
work is needed.  Because the transaction's writes aren't visible
until COMMIT PREPARED is run, and write-write conflicts are still
causing serialization failures after PREPARE TRANSACTION, some of
the work being done for SSI on PREPARE TRANSACTION needs to be moved
to COMMIT PREPARED.
It seems likely that shops who use prepared transactions are more
likely than most to care about truly serializable transactions, so I
don't think I should write this off as a limitation for the 9.1
implementation.  Unless someone sees some dire problem with the
patch which I've missed, this seems like my top priority to fix
before cutting a patch.
-Kevin