Re: Streaming base backups - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: Streaming base backups
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 7.1.2011 15:45, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 02:15, Simon Riggs<simon@2ndquadrant.com>  wrote:
>
>> One very useful feature will be some way of confirming the number and
>> size of files to transfer, so that the base backup client can find out
>> the progress.
> The patch already does this. Or rather, as it's coded it does this
> once per tablespace.
>
> It'll give you an approximation only of course, that can change,
In this case you actually could send exact numbers, as you need to only
transfer the files up to the size they were when starting the base backup. The rest will
be taken care of by WAL replay

>   but
> it should be enough for the purposes of a progress indication.
>

>> It would also be good to avoid writing a backup_label file at all on the
>> master, so there was no reason why multiple concurrent backups could not
>> be taken. The current coding allows for the idea that the start and stop
>> might be in different sessions, whereas here we know we are in one
>> session.
> Yeah, I have that on the todo list suggested by Heikki. I consider it
> a later phase though.

Hannu Krosing
Senior Consultant,
Infinite Scalability&  Performance