pgbench to the MAXINT - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Greg Smith
Subject pgbench to the MAXINT
Date
List pgsql-performance
At one point I was working on a patch to pgbench to have it adopt 64-bit
math internally even when running on 32 bit platforms, which are
currently limited to a dataabase scale of ~4000 before the whole process
crashes and burns.  But since the range was still plenty high on a
64-bit system, I stopped working on that.  People who are only running
32 bit servers at this point in time aren't doing anything serious
anyway, right?

So what is the upper limit now?  The way it degrades when you cross it
amuses me:

$ pgbench -i -s 21475 pgbench
creating tables...
set primary key...
NOTICE:  ALTER TABLE / ADD PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index
"pgbench_branches_pkey" for table "pgbench_branches"
NOTICE:  ALTER TABLE / ADD PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index
"pgbench_tellers_pkey" for table "pgbench_tellers"
NOTICE:  ALTER TABLE / ADD PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index
"pgbench_accounts_pkey" for table "pgbench_accounts"
vacuum...done.
$ pgbench -S -t 10 pgbench
starting vacuum...end.
setrandom: invalid maximum number -2147467296

It doesn't throw any error during the initialization step, neither via
client or database logs, even though it doesn't do anything whatsoever.
It just turns into the quickest pgbench init ever.  That's the exact
threshold, because this works:

$ pgbench -i -s 21474 pgbench
creating tables...
10000 tuples done.
20000 tuples done.
30000 tuples done.

So where we're at now is that the maximum database pgbench can create is
a scale of 21474.  That makes approximately a 313GB database.  I can
tell you the size for sure when that init finishes running, which is not
going to be soon.  That's not quite as big as I'd like to exercise a
system with 128GB of RAM, the biggest size I run into regularly now, but
it's close enough for now.  This limit will need to finally got pushed
upward soon though, because 256GB servers are getting cheaper every
day--and the current pgbench can't make a database big enough to really
escape cache on one of them.