Re: Streaming base backups - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Streaming base backups
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 06.01.2011 00:27, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
> Magnus Hagander<magnus@hagander.net>  writes:
>>> What about pg_streamrecv | gzip>  …, which has the big advantage of
>>
>> That's part of what I meant with "easier and more useful".
>
> Well…

One thing to keep in mind is that if you do compression in libpq for the
transfer, and gzip the tar file in the client, that's quite inefficient.
You compress the data once in the server, decompress in the client, then
compress it again in the client.  If you're going to write the backup to
a compressed file, and you want to transfer it compressed to save
bandwidth, you want to gzip it in the server to begin with.