Re: #include - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: #include
Date
List pgsql-general
On 12/26/2010 02:14 PM, Elliot Chance wrote:

> In file included from /usr/include/pgsql/server/access/heapam.h:21,
>                   from /usr/include/pgsql/server/nodes/execnodes.h:18,
>                   from /usr/include/pgsql/server/executor/execdesc.h:18,
>                   from /usr/include/pgsql/server/executor/executor.h:17,
>                   from /usr/include/pgsql/server/funcapi.h:21,
>                   from xapian.cpp:4:
> /usr/include/pgsql/server/nodes/primnodes.h:1155: error: expected unqualified-id before ‘using’

You've neglected to mention which version of Pg you're compiling
against, so that line number means nothing. What's the offending line of
code and the surrounding few lines in primnodes.h?

In any case, I think it's very likely the issue is a C/C++
incompatibility in the Pg headers. It fails for me in a different place
using Pg 9.1git and g++ 4.5, complaining about the use of "private" as
an identifier in fmgr.h, because it's a keyword in C++.

This is one of the many reasons you should keep any code that touches
the postgres innards as pure C, and call into your C++ code via "extern
C" functions. The Pg headers aren't really C++ safe. Neither is Pg's
longjmp-based error handling, which really won't mix well with
exceptions or with stack-based objects that have dtors.

--
Craig Ringer