Re: Ownership/Permissions Problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: Ownership/Permissions Problem
Date
List pgsql-general
On 12/24/10 1:23 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   I cannot run my accounting software and have, I believe, isolated the
> problem by running 'psql' at the command line.
>
>   When I run psql logged in as myself I get this error:
>
> [rshepard@salmo ~]$ psql aesi
> psql: error while loading shared libraries: libpq.so.5: cannot open
> shared
> object file: Permission denied
>
>   Yet, when I su to user postgres and run the command it loads the shell:
>
> postgres@salmo:/home/rshepard$ psql aesi
> psql (9.0.1)
> Type "help" for help.
>
> aesi=#
>
>   What directory or file has the incorrect ownership and/or
> permissions, and
> what should they be?

wild guess says, libpq.so.5  or whatever its linked to.

on this system...

$ ls -l /usr/lib/libpq*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     12 Dec 23  2009 /usr/lib/libpq.so.5 ->
libpq.so.5.1
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 138316 Dec 10  2009 /usr/lib/libpq.so.5.1

it doesn't really matter who owns it, what matters is the symlinked
actual file has +rx (755 or whatever)