Re: How to restore from backup to 8.4.3 server using 9.0 dump/restore - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: How to restore from backup to 8.4.3 server using 9.0 dump/restore
Date
List pgsql-general
On 12/15/2010 08:43 AM, Andrus Moor wrote:
>> Why does it have that requirement? And why doesn't it use the pg_dump
>> that came with the server? It seems pretty lame to assume that your app
>> has to provide pg_dump and not any other part of the Postgres
>> installation.
>
> Application is like pg_admin.
> It is typical client application which is used to edit data in existing
> servers running in different sites over internet.
> Application must have function to backup and restore whole database in
> same >=8 server where it connects. Only 5432 port is open to internet.
>
> Andrus.

Well that is a problem :) No solution comes immediately to mind. Re my
previous comment about pgAdmin, I went ahead and read the docs and it
uses the pg_dump that it finds in the path or is in the same place as
its executable.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com