Re: GiST insert algorithm rewrite - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: GiST insert algorithm rewrite
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 13.12.2010 20:30, Tom Lane wrote:
> Can we fix it so that each child page is updated, and its downlink
> inserted, as a separate atomic action?  That'd require each intermediate
> state to be consistent and crash-safe, but I think you really need the
> intermediate states to be consistent anyway because of concurrent scans.

Yes, all the intermediate states are consistent. I'm looking at that
approach as we speak. The logic to track what we've done and what needs
to be done as the changes are propagated gets quite hairy, but in
principle it should work.