Re: Explicit psqlrc - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Christensen
Subject Re: Explicit psqlrc
Date
Re: Explicit psqlrc
List pgsql-hackers
On Mar 7, 2010, at 9:22 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

>> 2010/3/6 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>:
>>> The analogy I was thinking about was psql -X, but I agree that it's
>>> not obvious why this shouldn't be thought of as an additional -f
>>> file.
>
>> Uh, I don't follow. When we use -f, we'll run the script and then
>> exit. The whole point is to run it and *not* exit, since you are
>> normally using it to set up the environment in psql.
>
> If we were going to support multiple -f options, it would be sensible
> to interpret "-f -" as "read from stdin until EOF".  Then you could
> interleave prepared scripts and stdin, which could be pretty handy.
> The default behavior would be equivalent to a single instance of "-f
> -",
> and what you are looking for would be "-X -f substitute-psqlrc -f -".

Here's an initial stab at supporting multiple -f's (not counting the
interpretation of "-f -" as STDIN).  There are also a few pieces that
are up for interpretation, such as the propagation of the return value
of the MainLoop().  Also, while this patch supports the single-
transaction mode, it does so in a way that will break if one of the
scripts include explicit BEGIN/COMMIT statements (although it is no
different than the existing code in this regard).

Regards,

David
--
David Christensen