Re: What is Dialect - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: What is Dialect
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11/22/2010 03:32 PM, Adarsh Sharma wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am reading about Dialects of different databases. Yet I can't
> understand what is the need of dialect in Postgres or any other like
> Hibernate uses Dialect of all Databases for ORM.
> What is it &
> How can we create our own Dialect ?

If you have to ask that question, you probably shouldn't do it. Seriously.

Perhaps you can explain *why* you want to make a new dialect in a bit
more detail? What you are trying to achieve? Most things you might want
to do via the dialect are better done with a UserType or by fixing your
schema.

BTW, there is already a PostgreSQL dialect in Hibernate. It's
automatically selected when Hibernate is used with PostgreSQL.

--
Craig Ringer