Re: Table name with umlauts - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Raymond O'Donnell
Subject Re: Table name with umlauts
Date
List pgsql-general
On 22/11/2010 19:01, Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote on 22.11.2010 19:25:
>> Thomas Kellerer<spam_eater@gmx.net> writes:
>>> I'm curious why the following is not working:
>>
>>> postgres=# show client_encoding;
>>> client_encoding
>>> -----------------
>>> UTF8
>>> (1 row)
>>

>>> postgres=# create table umlaut_test_ö (id integer);
>>> ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0xf6202869
>>
>> It looks to me like your console is not in fact producing UTF8;
>> it's representing ö as 0xf6, which I think is right for Latin1.
>> Select the proper client_encoding.
>>

> I assume you mean the encoding in the console?

No, he means the encoding on the connection:

   http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/multibyte.html#AEN30728

...so that the server returns the correct characters for your console.

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie