shared data for different applications - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kent Tong
Subject shared data for different applications
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

Let's say that there is some data that should be logically shared by
many applications in the company, such as some core information about
its customers (name, address, contact info). In principle, such data
should be stored in a DB for sharing.

But then if a certain application needs to access such shared data, it
will need to access its own DB plus this shared DB, which is
troublesome and requires distributed transactions.

An alternative is to store everything into a single DB and use, say,
schemas to separate the data. The shared data can be put into one
schema and that application can have its own schema. This eliminates
the need for distributed transactions but then you'll have a single
DB for the whole company! This creates problems in:
1) availability: if the DB is down, everything is down.
2) maintenance: if we need to deploy a new application, we'll need to
create a new schema in that single DB, potentially impacting other
apps.
3) performance: all apps are access that single DB server.

I was wondering in practice, how people address this problem?

Thanks!