Re: Foreign key UI bug - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Guillaume Lelarge
Subject Re: Foreign key UI bug
Date
List pgadmin-support
Le 20/11/2010 16:09, Guillaume Lelarge a écrit :
> Le 20/11/2010 15:15, Michael Shapiro a écrit :
>> Theoretically, you could have the same problem with the primary key -- there
>> could be an index with that name already.
>
> If it happens, it would be PostgreSQL fault, not pgAdmin. The name of
> the constraint and the name of the index, in a primary key and in a
> unique contraint, are determined by PostgreSQL, not pgAdmin. On the
> contrario, the name of the index of a foreign key is determined by
> pgAdmin because this is not a PostgreSQL feature.
>
>> But in practice it doesn't happen. You could generate a name for the foreign
>> key based on similar pattern for the pk
>> and if it fails, then it falls on the user to provide a name. Seem like it
>> would work 99% of the time.
>>

> I guess Magnus's idea is the good one (fk_tablename_columnname).

The issue in this idea is that you can have more than one column in a
foreignkey. Yes, I know we can put all of them till we reach 63
characters. But it feels quite a burden.

The simple patch attached forces one to type either the constraint name
or the index name. Which seems enough for me.

Any new objections? :)

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr