Re: where is pg_stat_activity (and others) in the documentation? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: where is pg_stat_activity (and others) in the documentation?
Date
List pgsql-general
Dne 17.11.2010 16:22, Tom Lane napsal(a):
> tv@fuzzy.cz writes:
>>> I do think that we need per-column documentation of the Standard
>>> Statistics Views.
>
>> What's wrong with these docs?
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9/static/catalogs.html
>
> Or, more to the point, these docs:
> http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/monitoring-stats.html#MONITORING-STATS-VIEWS

Yes, but that's just the general description of the views, including a
brief description of the columns. But sometimes it's difficult to see
which column is actually described and the description available for the
function is usually bit more detailed.

For example pg_stat_bgwriter view is described like this (quoting just
part of the description):

    One row only, showing cluster-wide statistics from the background
    writer: number of scheduled checkpoints, requested checkpoints, ...

That's a fair amount of information, but if you do

    \d+ pg_stat_bgwriter

you'll immediately see that checkpoints_timed corresponds to a call to
pg_stat_get_bgwriter_timed_checkpoints, and this is described like this

    Number of times the background writer has started timed checkpoints
    (because the checkpoint_timeout time has expired)

Which is a bit more detailed that the description of the view.

regards
Tomas