Re: The first dedicated PostgreSQL forum - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Fredric Fredricson
Subject Re: The first dedicated PostgreSQL forum
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11/17/2010 03:09 PM, Tony Caduto wrote:
> On 11/15/2010 5:53 PM, Lee Hachadoorian wrote:
>> If anyone's interested, I've started accessing the postgres list through
>> gmane.org (along with several other mailing lists I subscribe to). It's
>> gives you the choice of reading the list as a threaded archive, a blog,
>> or through an NNTP newsreader or an RSS feed. Everyone chooses their
>> preferred interface, the community is not fractured by interface
>> preference.
>>

> Honestly those options suck.
> The mailing lists etc are fine, but they are kind of old school,
> people coming from other databases
> expect a web based forum plain and simple.  To attract more users the
> forums are a GREAT idea.
>
> Stop this ridiculous complaining about interface fracture etc .
>
> I can tell you for SURE that many people who are not OLD SCHOOL hate
> mailing lists,  A web based forum
> gives everyday users more of a chance of interacting with the community.
>
> It would be a good idea to stop the bickering and just implement the
> forums.
>
> Sorry if people don't like my honest answer :-)
That may be your honest opinion but some of us actually prefer mailing
lists. I use both, for different purposes and have noticed that there
are quite a lot of really bad forum implementations.

When I use mailing lists I filter the mail to different folders (as I
suspect 99.9% of all mailing list users do). I always choose mail client
where filtering is convenient. If you are not free to choose mail client
and are stuck with a bad one I can understand if you don't appreciate
mailing lists but for me it is far more convenient than a forum.

But you have a point that mailing lists are not for everyday users but I
doubt that "everyday users", that find configuring an email client
difficult, would have any reason to visit this mailing list.

Still, the best option would of course be to have both, that would give
people choice, but I share the concern for anonymous posts spamming the
mail lists with questions that can be answered with a simple search in
the (excellent) documentation.

My $.02
/Fredric

Attachment