Re: I'm stuck - I just can't get this small FUNCT to run! - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Ralph Smith
Subject Re: I'm stuck - I just can't get this small FUNCT to run!
Date
List pgsql-sql
<small>Thank you both.  I stared and stared and stared, and apparently I needed to take a walk around the building <br
/>I have repeatedly asked about an upgrade, but as you mentioned Tom, it's a compatibility issue and concern that
installof PG 8.X (which is what I hear we'll be going to), not connected to the real DB, would it be functional enough
cite="mid:AANLkTinSB+Rd8SNHaqcTf0LSr6=PyPdgj9fkjDQ9ihxH@mail.gmail.com"type="cite"><pre>You appear to be missing a
trailingsemi-colons.Here:</pre>  <pre>    vFieldName= ''offer_'' || ''$1''

cite="mid:AANLkTinSB+Rd8SNHaqcTf0LSr6=PyPdgj9fkjDQ9ihxH@mail.gmail.com"type="cite"></blockquote>
-------------------------------------------------------<br/><div class="moz-text-plain" graphical-quote="true"
lang="x-western"style="font-family: -moz-fixed; font-size: 12px;" wrap="true"><pre wrap="">Ralph Smith <a
class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"href="mailto:rsmith@10kinfo.com"><rsmith@10kinfo.com></a> writes:

... well, actually, it is; because newer versions give considerably more
helpful syntax error messages.  I tried plugging this function into
a current version, and got

syntax error at or near "daRec"
LINE 34:     FOR daRec IN SELECT * FROM temp_salesimport WHERE offer_...                ^

which was at least close enough to the problem (the missing semi on the
previous line) to be of some use, unlike the error pointing at line 92.
Similarly, after fixing the first missing semi I got

ERROR:  syntax error at or near "select"
LINE 38:       select into vBusOwnerID businessownerid from business ...              ^

which is just after the other one.

If you aren't in a position to move your production DB yet, you might
at least consider using a newer version for development.  That has its
own hazards of course, like accidentally using features that don't exist
in 7.4, but it could save you a lot of time in cases like this.
        regards, tom lane

Ralph
</pre>