Re: OS X shared memory problems 8.0rc3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Timothy Perrigo
Subject Re: OS X shared memory problems 8.0rc3
Date
List pgsql-general
On Jan 2, 2005, at 12:58 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Timothy Perrigo <tperrigo@wernervas.com> writes:
>> I just downloaded and installed RC3 on my OS X system (10.3.7), and
>> I'm
>> getting a shared memory error when trying to run initdb (error message
>> listed below).  I received a similar error a few weeks ago after
>> upgrading my OS to 10.3.7, but I was able to get around that by
>> reducing the shared_buffers setting in postgresql.conf.
>
> I think you probably are trying to run two postmasters at once.  You
> really need to increase the OS X memory limits, instead.
>
>             regards, tom lane

No, I just ran pg_ctl status to check, and here was the output:

pg_ctl: neither postmaster nor postgres running

I then ran initdb, and got the error message I posted before.

I only want to run 1 postmaster at a time...any ideas?

Thanks,
Tim