Re: Overriding local encoding defaults - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Bob McConnell
Subject Re: Overriding local encoding defaults
Date
List pgsql-novice
Tom Lane wrote:
> Bob McConnell <rmcconne@lightlink.com> writes:
>> I still don't understand why a server process should care about the
>> local console. Are there any plans to fix that?
>
> No, because it's not broken.  Where else should initdb get the default
> locale setting, if not from the environment it's invoked in?

Something that critical should never be left to a default. It should be
explicitly required in the command line and ignore all of the local
settings. In this case, the local settings are irrelevant anyway. The
console will never be used to access the DB on a headless server.

But what I think is broken is that the command line argument is blocked
by the local settings. When the command line says to use UTF-8, it
should override any and all local settings. They become superfluous.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP