Re: Constraint: string length must be 32 chars - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Raymond O'Donnell
Subject Re: Constraint: string length must be 32 chars
Date
List pgsql-general
On 16/10/2010 17:48, Alexander Farber wrote:
> snake=>  create table gps (
> id varchar(32) primary key CONSTRAINT id_length char_length(id)=32,
> stamp timestamp DEFAULT current_timestamp,
> pos point);
> ERROR:  syntax error at or near "char_length"
> LINE 2: id varchar(32) primary key CONSTRAINT id_length char_length(...
>                                                          ^
>
> snake=>  create table gps (
> id varchar(32) primary key CHECK id_length char_length(id)=32,
> stamp timestamp DEFAULT current_timestamp,
> pos point);
> ERROR:  syntax error at or near "id_length"
> LINE 2: id varchar(32) primary key CHECK id_length char_length(id)=3...
>                                           ^
>
> snake=>  create table gps (
> id varchar(32) primary key CHECK char_length(id)=32,
> stamp timestamp DEFAULT current_timestamp,
> pos point);
> ERROR:  syntax error at or near "char_length"
> LINE 2: id varchar(32) primary key CHECK char_length(id)=32,
>                                           ^
>
> Sorry, any ideas? (I know it's a stupid question)
> Alex

None of those correspond to what I suggested! :-)
Here is is again:

     ... CONSTRAINT length_check CHECK char_length(id) = 32, ...

Note the keywords "constraint" and "check" both present. Not that I'm
saying I'm correct - I'm going on memory.... If in doubt consult the
docs under "create table".

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland