Re: default console user authentication? - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: default console user authentication?
Date
List pgsql-admin
George Clark <grclark78@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to do a pg_dump to backup a database that is part of
> our phone system.  The original installers (phone people) seem to
> know nothing about the superuser account, or the db admin account,
> and the pg_dump needs a password authentication.
>
> The pg_dump command is asking for the password for user
> "Administrator."  I'm logged into the server (a Windows Server) as
> the Admin user, but it is NOT THAT password it wants, because that
> one fails.  I am using the command:
>
> pg_dump -p 6432 eware -f D:\Util\pgdump.log
>
> If they did not configure a default password at install, how can I
> set up a superuser acct and password so I can do some admin work
> with this pg database?  Right now I have no console level access
> to this thing.

You might want to temporarily modify pg_hba.conf or pgpass to get
through this, and then review how you want to handle security long
term (which *might* involve making your emergency fix permanent).

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/auth-pg-hba-conf.html

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/libpq-pgpass.html

-Kevin