Re: Memory usage - indexes - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Brad Nicholson
Subject Re: Memory usage - indexes
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 10-09-24 03:06 PM, Bob Lunney wrote:
> The pertinent difference between pg_stat_user_indexes and pg_statio_user_indexes is the latter shows the number of
blocksread from disk or found in the cache.

I have a minor, but very important correction involving this point.  The
pg_statio tables show you what blocks are found in the Postgres buffer
cache, and what ones are not.

For the ones that are not, those blocks may come from the OS filesystem
cache, a battery backed cache, or on the actual disk.  There is a big
difference in performance based on where you are actually getting those
blocks from (and you can't this info from Postgres).

--
Brad Nicholson  416-673-4106