Issue with libpq < 8.4 - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Guillaume Lelarge
Subject Issue with libpq < 8.4
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Hi,

I found a rather big issue with our connection functions. We try to use
the PQconninfoParse but it doesn't exist on libpq release less than 8.4.
And that triggers the deadly:

pgadmin3: symbol lookup error: pgadmin3: undefined symbol: PQconninfoParse

And kaboom.

I don't think this issue will show up in Windows and Mac OS X. But I'm
much more afraid for Linux builds. Someone that installs pgAdmin3 will
have a libpq installed. Not sure it'll be the last one (8.4 libpq). can
we tell packagers to make sure their pgadmin3 packages are tied to an
8.4 (at least) libpq?

Is this something we should bother? and if yes, how should we handle
this? (adding #ifdef won't work, getting out PQconninfoParse really
doesn't please me).

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr