Re: BUG #5590: undefined shift behavior - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From John Regehr
Subject Re: BUG #5590: undefined shift behavior
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Tom, on the list you said:

"I would be ecstatic if we could write
int4pl like this:

    if (sum_overflows(arg1, arg2))
        elog(ERROR, "overflow");
    else
        return arg1 + arg2;
"

This is effectively what our clang patch does (automatically, for all
integer operations).

Right now our stuff isn't very efficient (~20% slowdown in SPEC INT) but
LLVM does support intrinsics for detecting overflows using processor
flags.  Currently we cannot use these because they're buggy but we're
working to get them fixed.  I'd expect our integer-checked binaries to
be pretty efficient once this is all working.

John