Re: BUG #5567: will not install - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Subject Re: BUG #5567: will not install
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 07/23/2010 07:24 PM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> On 07/22/2010 07:51 PM, Denise Kanyuh wrote:
>>
>> Alex,
>> Yes -- I am aware that we are on an old release --
>
> any plans to upgrade?
>

>> when you say - my hunch is
>> they do not ship binaries for AIX (7.1).
>>
>> what binaries are you taking about --- we use the same installer and
>> files on AIX 6.1 and it works -- it appears that there is something
>> different in AIX 7.1 -- either something that is not longer in the AIX
>> 7.1 OS base (is that what you where thinking) or someing in posgres that
>> need to change to accomidate this new OS?
>
> so you just copied the binary files over from AIX 6.1 .have you tried
> what happens when you actually compile on AIX 7.1?
> The filename in your "installers" error suggests that initdb fails - so
> what happens when you do a manual initdb with your binaries?
>
> On a different note - if IBM is using PostgreSQL on AIX internally you
> might want to consider providing buildfarm support on different AIX
> versions, that would help you and the community in supporting AIX.

That seems especially important in the light of AIX 7.1 not even beeing
available/released yet so it is not really possible that the community
can actually do any tests on that platform or even provide an estimation
on what it would take to support it...

Stefan