Re: How to move a database from HP server to Linux Server that had already one database. - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: How to move a database from HP server to Linux Server that had already one database.
Date
List pgsql-admin
"ENGEMANN, DAYSE" <dayse.engemann@hp.com> wrote:

> pg_dump -h sourcemachine -U sourceuser source_dbname | psql
> target_dbname
>
> Is that?

Yes.  You need to enter passwords unless they are specified in
.pgpass or you have some form of authorization which doesn't require
typing a password (for example, trust or ident).

> The data will be import in the existing db?

Yes, you should create the target database before issuing this --
you can add a parameter to the dump to cause it to create the
database, but I always feel safer creating it myself and pointing to
an existing database.

-Kevin