Re: resource management, letting user A use no more than X resource (time, CPU, memory...) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: resource management, letting user A use no more than X resource (time, CPU, memory...)
Date
List pgsql-general
On 16/07/10 19:21, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:
> If I'd like to learn how to manage resources in postgres and grant
> different users different time slot/memory/CPU?
>
> eg. I'd like to grant to user A to execute queries that last less
> than 1min or that occupy no more than X Mb... etc...

PostgreSQL doesn't really offer much in the way of features for per-user
resource control, resource impact isolation, etc.

You can potentially run different PostgreSQL instances (postmasters, not
just databases) in different domains of a virtualization or
resource-control setup, but that's pretty inefficient, adds a lot of
admin work, and doesn't help if your users need to be able to use the
same database(s).

If you need strong user resource limits, user storage limits, etc
PostgreSQL might not be your best option. There are some things you can
do, but there's not much.

--
Craig Ringer