Re: PostgreSQL PITR - more doubts

From: Jesper Krogh
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL PITR - more doubts
Date: ,
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

PostgreSQL PITR - more doubts  (Jayadevan M, )
 Re: PostgreSQL PITR - more doubts  (Jesper Krogh, )
  Re: PostgreSQL PITR - more doubts  (Jayadevan M, )
   Re: PostgreSQL PITR - more doubts  ("Kevin Grittner", )

On 2010-07-12 13:23, Jayadevan M wrote:
> Hello all,
> One doubt about how PostgreSQL PITR works. Let us say I have all the
> archived WALs for the past week with
> archive_command = 'cp -i %p /home/postgres/archive/%f</dev/null'
> I took a base backup last night. If I try to recover the server today
> after
> copying the base backup from yesterday and providing
> restore_command = 'cp /home/postgres/archive/%f %p'
> does PostgreSQL go through all the past week's archived WALS or
> it can figure out that the base backup is from yesterday, so skip
> a large number of archived WALs and start only from file xxx ?

Yes, It starts out form "where it needs to". Assuming you
did a pg_start_backup() before you did your base backup?

--
Jesper