Re: Outer join construction step :strange results - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From ced
Subject Re: Outer join construction step :strange results
Date
List pgsql-sql
Oliveiros d'Azevedo Cristina wrote:
> Howdy, Cedric .
>
> Before analysing this problem of yours further, I 'd like you to
> kindly clarify me some points, please
>

>> I have table following tables  T0,T1,T2,T3, T1T2
>> with
>> -T0(id, fk_T1)
>> -T1(id )
>> -T2(id, fk_T3)
>> -T1T2(fk_T1,fk_T2)
>> -T3 (id)
>>
>> The table T0 represents sets of T1 items.
>> The table T1 represents items.
>> The table T3 represents property types.
>> The table T2 represents represents property values of a specific type.
>>

> T0.id is not a primary key, is it?
all columns with id are Primary keys
all columns with fk_T1 are foreign keys

>> For every T1 item of a T0 set I want to know if they do or do not have
>> T3 property types and if their values.
>>

>> next comes view2 as
>>
>> create view view2 as
>> select T2.fk_T3 as my_id
>> from T2,T1T2
>> where 1=1
>> and T1T2.fk_T1=23456
>> and T1T2.fk_T2=T2.id;
>>
>> This will give me all properties types that the T1 item with id 23456
>> has.
>> let say this query gives me 4 rows.
>>

> T1T2 is an associative table between items and their property values,
> not types, is this correct?
YES
> If so, I am not realizing why you say that this second view will give
> you all property types. Didn't you mean property values?
no types because T2.fk_T3 is the foreign key to the property types T3

> Also, I am not reaching the point of the "1=1" thing. What is the
> propose of it, exactly?
> Isnt that condition always truth ? Maybe I am lacking some sql
> knowledge ...
yes it is allways tru is just a typo trick to have all conditions
aligned so that you can comment them out easily

> Thanks in advance for advising me
>
> Best,
> Oliveiros

You are to be thanked to getting to my problem

cheers