Re: Postgre Server stopped during continuous run. - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Postgre Server stopped during continuous run.
Date
List pgsql-admin
"Vishnu S." <vishnu.s@nestgroup.net> wrote:

> I have disabled the WAL log

Exactly what did you do to accomplish that?

> the Postgres server stopped unexpectedly . Can you  explain what
> is the reason behind this.?

Can you show us the error messages from the server log and the user
connections around the time of failure?

> Can we specify the maximum  size of WAL file that can be stored in
> the database.  On reaching the specified limit the older log files
> can be deleted automatically.

The default is to use very little WAL file space, but it's
configurable based on checkpoint_segments.  What you're describing
sounds like it *might* be caused by turning on archiving, but having
an archive_command which returns a failure exit code.  That would
keep the files indefinitely on the assumption that you want to fix
your archiving.  The solution is to turn off archiving or fix your
archive command.

For ideas on what information you can include in your post to allow
us to better understand your situation and provide more helpful
advice, please see this page:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Guide_to_reporting_problems

In particular, knowing what version of PostgreSQL you are running in
what environment, the error messages you got, the contents of the
postgresql.conf file (without the comments), and the steps you took
which led up to the problem would be the most likely to give us
enough to be more helpful.

-Kevin