Re: PostgreSQL as a local in-memory cache - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Craig James
Subject Re: PostgreSQL as a local in-memory cache
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 6/16/10 12:00 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

>> * fsync=off =>  5,100
>> * fsync=off and synchronous_commit=off =>  5,500
>
> Now, this *is* interesting ... why should synch_commit make a difference
> if fsync is off?
>
> Anyone have any ideas?

I found that pgbench has "noise" of about 20% (I posted about this a couple days ago using data from 1000 identical
pgbenchruns).  Unless you make a bunch of runs and average them, a difference of 5,100 to 5,500 appears to be
meaningless.

Craig