Re: New PGXN Extension site - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: New PGXN Extension site
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Then you weren't paying attention at the devlopers' meeting. It's the
bottom item on
<http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PgCon_2010_Developer_Meeting#Development_Priorities_for_9.1>

cheers

andrew

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> This was just posted to announce.  Seems the community now has to
> compete with another extension-based infrastructure if we ever get
> around to developing one of our own.
>
> I personally had no knowledge of this, which is fine, but don't expect
> me to get excited about it, except to consider it a threat to a
> community-lead extension site.

> David E. Wheeler wrote:
>
>> I'm pleased to announce the launch of the PGXN development project.
>>
>>   http://www.pgxn.org/
>>
>> PGXN, the PostgreSQL Extension Network, is modelled on CPAN, the Perl community's archive of "all things Perl." PGXN
willprovide four major pieces of infrastructure to the PostgreSQL community:

>> * An upload and distribution infrastructure for extension developers
>> * A centralized index and API of distribution metadata
>> * A website for searching extensions and perusing their documentation
>> * A command-line client for downloading, testing, and installing extensions
>>
>> We have started the fundraising phase of the project now. Thanks to founding sponsors myYearbook.com and PostgreSQL
Experts,Inc., we're already 2/5 of the way to our goal. Complete details of the project -- including the specification,
implementationplan, and  fundraising FAQ -- are on the site.