Re: New PGXN Extension site - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David E. Wheeler
Subject Re: New PGXN Extension site
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Jun 15, 2010, at 1:12 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> This was just posted to announce.  Seems the community now has to
> compete with another extension-based infrastructure if we ever get
> around to developing one of our own.
>
> I personally had no knowledge of this, which is fine, but don't expect
> me to get excited about it, except to consider it a threat to a
> community-lead extension site.

This *is* for the community, Bruce. There was extensive discussion of my original proposal back in January:
 http://www.mail-archive.com/pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org/msg143645.html

I welcome all contributions from the community. I want it to be a success for PostgreSQL. But note that it doesn't have
tobe started as a -hackers project (any more than pg_upgrade did). CPAN, for example, was created because Jarkko had an
itch.He scratched it. I'm doing the same here.

Best,

David