Re: warning message in standby - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: warning message in standby
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com> wrote:
> LOG is already over-used and so anything said at that level is
> drowned.  In many areas of code we cannot use a higher level
> without trauma. That is a problem since we have no way to separate
> the truly important from the barely interesting.
The fact that LOG is categorized the same as INFO has led me to
believe that they are morally equivalent -- that the only reason
both exist is that one has entries of interest to system
administrators and the other has interest to clients.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/runtime-config-logging.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-SEVERITY-LEVELS
Our shop chooses to log all connections and disconnections.  That's
mixed with such as which clients broke their connections without
proper handshaking.  I am surprised to hear that any time-critical
alerts would be logged at this level, versus the sort of information
you might want for forensic purposes.  Perhaps anything which
shouldn't be categorized as INFO to syslog should have some other
(new?) level.  ALERT, maybe?  Mapping to ERR?
-Kevin