Re: BUG #5488: pg_dump does not quote column names -> pg_restore may fail when upgrading - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Hartmut Goebel
Subject Re: BUG #5488: pg_dump does not quote column names -> pg_restore may fail when upgrading
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Am 10.06.2010 03:35, schrieb Bruce Momjian:
> Robert Haas wrote:
>>> I think users would rather have the restore fail, and know right away
>>> they have an issue, than to do the upgrade, and find out later that some
>>> of their application queries fail and they need to run around fixing
>>> them. ?(FYI, pg_upgrade would use the new pg_dump and would not fail.)
>>>
>>> In a way, the fact that the restore fails can be seen as a feature ---
>>> they get the error before the go live on 8.4. ?(Yeah, I am serious.)
>>
>> Eeh, I've had this happen to me on earlier releases, and it didn't
>> feel like a feature to me.  YMMV, of course.
>=20
> Would you have preferred later application failure?

Yes! Since this would at least solve one issue: migrating the data. And
if the application is developed elsewhere, it should be fixed when I'm
upgrading.

--=20
Sch=C3=B6nen Gru=C3=9F - Regards
Hartmut Goebel
Dipl.-Informatiker (univ.), CISSP, CSSLP

Goebel Consult
Spezialist f=C3=BCr IT-Sicherheit in komplexen Umgebungen
http://www.goebel-consult.de

Monatliche Kolumne: http://www.cissp-gefluester.de/
Goebel Consult mit Mitglied bei http://www.7-it.de