Re: BUG #5488: pg_dump does not quote column names -> pg_restore may fail when upgrading - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: BUG #5488: pg_dump does not quote column names -> pg_restore may fail when upgrading
Date
Re: BUG #5488: pg_dump does not quote column names -> pg_restore may fail when upgrading  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
Re: BUG #5488: pg_dump does not quote column names -> pg_restore may fail when upgrading  (Hartmut Goebel <h.goebel@goebel-consult.de>)
List pgsql-bugs
Robert Haas wrote:
> > I think users would rather have the restore fail, and know right away
> > they have an issue, than to do the upgrade, and find out later that some
> > of their application queries fail and they need to run around fixing
> > them. ?(FYI, pg_upgrade would use the new pg_dump and would not fail.)
> >
> > In a way, the fact that the restore fails can be seen as a feature ---
> > they get the error before the go live on 8.4. ?(Yeah, I am serious.)
>
> Eeh, I've had this happen to me on earlier releases, and it didn't
> feel like a feature to me.  YMMV, of course.

Would you have preferred later application failure?