Re: BUG #5488: pg_dump does not quote column names -> pg_restore may fail when upgrading - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Hartmut Goebel
Subject Re: BUG #5488: pg_dump does not quote column names -> pg_restore may fail when upgrading
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Am 10.06.2010 13:46, schrieb Kevin Grittner:

> I have a feeling that many here don't understand how ubiquitous such
> frameworks are.

I got his impression, too. :-(

> Our programmers have no way to get a statement to
> the database from within the application *without* all identifiers
> being quoted.

Since I've be confused a bit by your statement, I'll try to express it
differently:

These frameworks simply qoute *all* identifiers, no matter if the
identifier is a keyword or not. This is done to take the burden of the
programmer to take care about identifiers. So it simply does not matter
when a keyword is added.

I wished, pg_dump could do the same and easy admins life :-\

--=20
Sch=C3=B6nen Gru=C3=9F - Regards
Hartmut Goebel
Dipl.-Informatiker (univ.), CISSP, CSSLP

Goebel Consult
Spezialist f=C3=BCr IT-Sicherheit in komplexen Umgebungen
http://www.goebel-consult.de

Monatliche Kolumne: http://www.cissp-gefluester.de/
Goebel Consult mit Mitglied bei http://www.7-it.de