Re: How filesystems matter with PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: How filesystems matter with PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 06/06/10 14:51, Ron Mayer wrote:
> Jon Schewe wrote:
>
>> OK, so if I want the 15 minute speed, I need to give up safety (OK in
>> this case as this is just research testing), or see if I can tune
>> postgres better.
>
> Depending on your app, one more possibility would be to see if you
> can re-factor the application so it can do multiple writes in parallel
> rather than waiting for each one to complete.   If I understand right,
> then many transactions could potentially be handled by a single fsync.

By using a commit delay, yes. (see postgresql.conf). You do open up the
risk of losing transactions committed within the commit delay period,
but you don't risk corruption like you do with fsync.

Sometimes you can also batch work into bigger transactions. The classic
example here is the usual long stream of individual auto-committed
INSERTs, which when wrapped in an explicit transaction can be vastly
quicker.

--
Craig Ringer