Re: recovery getting interrupted is not so unusual as it used to be - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: recovery getting interrupted is not so unusual as it used to be
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 02/06/10 23:50, Robert Haas wrote:
> First, is it appropriate to set the control file state to
> DB_SHUTDOWNED_IN_RECOVERY even when we're in crash recovery (as
> opposed to archive recovery/SR)?  My vote is no, but Heikki thought it
> might be OK.

My logic on that is:

If the database is known to be in good shape, i.e not corrupt, after
shutdown during crash recovery, then we should not print the warning at
restart saying "This probably means that some data is corrupted".
There's no reason to believe the database is corrupt if it's a
controlled shutdown, so setting control file state to
DB_SHUTDOWNED_IN_RECOVERY is OK. But if it's not OK for some reason,
then we really shouldn't allow the shut down in the first place until we
hit the end of WAL.

So the option "allow shutdown, but warn at restart that your data is
probably corrupt" does not make sense in any case.