Explain docs and the regression database - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Greg Smith
Subject Explain docs and the regression database
Date
List pgsql-docs
The introduction to using EXPLAIN:
http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/using-explain.html
includes a footnote at the bottom suggesting you might follow along with
these examples because they come from the regression test database.
This would really be a lot more useful if it gave some sort of clue just
how exactly a user might get that database populated with that
regression data.  I'm not even quite sure myself exactly what point in
the regression testing cycle these examples came from.  Another open
question in my head is whether enough pieces of the regression set are
shipped in the most common packaging sets that it's ever practical to
expect users to run the tests at all.  Thoughts?