Re: Idea for getting rid of VACUUM FREEZE on cold pages - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Idea for getting rid of VACUUM FREEZE on cold pages
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I'm not sure it's cheap.  What you suggest would result in a substantial
> increase in clog accesses, which means (1) more I/O and (2) more
> contention.  Certainly it's worth experimenting with, but it's no
> guaranteed win.

It seems like there's a number of issues we could fix by making the CLOG
more efficient somehow -- from the elimination of hint bits to the
ability to freeze pages without writing them.

Not, of course, that I have any idea how to do that.

--                                   -- Josh Berkus                                     PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
                           http://www.pgexperts.com