Re: Full text search on a complex schema - a classic problem? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andy Colson
Subject Re: Full text search on a complex schema - a classic problem?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 05/22/2010 09:40 PM, Ivan Voras wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a schema which tracks various pieces of information which would
> need to be globally searchable. One approach I came up with to make all
> of the data searchable is to create a view made of UNION ALL queries
> that would integrate different tables into a common structure which
> could be uniformly queried by using tsearch2 functions. This would work,
> up to the point where it would be practically unavoidable (for
> performance reasons) to create indexes on this view, which cannot be
> done. I would like to avoid using a "hand-made" materialized view (via
> triggers, etc.) because of administrative overhead and because it would
> duplicate data, of which there is potentially a lot.
>
> I think this looks like a fairly common problem with full text searches
> on a large-ish schemas, so I'm wondering what are the best practices
> here, specifically with using tsearch2?

I have something like this, but with PostGIS layers.  When a person clicks I search all the different layers (each a
table)for information.  I use a stored proc.  Each table has its own index so each table is fast.  It also lets me
abstractout differences between the layers (I can search each a little differently).

If each of your tables had its own full text fields and indexes, then write a stored proc to search them all
individually,it should be pretty quick.

-Andy