Re: PANIC: corrupted item pointer: 32766 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Catalin BOIE
Subject Re: PANIC: corrupted item pointer: 32766
Date
List pgsql-general
On 05/14/2010 08:49 PM, Igor Neyman wrote:

> [...]

Only now I seen your message, but this is exactly what I did.

I built a script that did this:

for (uid = 1; uid < 'SELECT MAX(uid) FROM table'; uid++)
    INSERT INTO new_table SELECT * FROM table WHERE uid = $uid

uid is the primary key and is a sequence.

I managed to recover all rows (around 5 millions), except 22, that where
inserted at the same time.

Seems that not the rows where bad, but the link to a page where they
were stored. I am not familiar with the PostgreSQL code. I am also not
familiar with the structure on mem/disk of the database. So, have mercy
with my explanations.
I am very sure that rows were inserted one after another.

Having no more ideas, I dropped all the indexes to the bad table. No change.

ANALYZE worked.
VACUUM generated the same error message.

fsync was at the default value (I assume is on).

For now I fixed the problem, but I am worried that the problem will come
back, because I have no idea what could generate this corruption.

Maybe, would be nice that this message to dump more data to help
somebody to debug the problem.
I searched this error and I seen that there are only around 5 cases. So,
is seldom, but is a bad one.

Thanks to everybody for their support!

P.S. I still have the bad table. If you want me to debug something, just
ask.

--
Catalin BOIE