Re: Parameter oddness; was HS/SR Assert server crash - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Parameter oddness; was HS/SR Assert server crash
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> One odd thing is we have two paramters that mention hot_standby
> --- on the master we have to do in postgresql.conf:
>
>     wal_level = hot_standby
>
> and on the slave we do in postgresql.conf:
>
>     hot_standby = on
>
> That is a little confusing.
Why?  I read that as saying that the master is writing sufficient
data into the WAL for it to be usable for hot standby purposes, and
that that the slave machine is going to be used as a hot standby.
You'd better do the former if you're going to do the latter, but
there were good reasons not to try to infer one setting from the
other.
-Kevin