Re: Reliability of Windows versions 8.3 or 8.4 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Justin Graf
Subject Re: Reliability of Windows versions 8.3 or 8.4
Date
List pgsql-general
On 5/12/2010 12:33 PM, Richard Broersma wrote:
> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 9:18 AM, Justin Graf<justin@magwerks.com>  wrote:
>

>> I would do a plain text file something like XML.  Given this is for
>> industrial use 10 years is a good number for warranty and support, but
>> this stuff will hang around years later, think 20 to 30 years.  How
>> many people understand FLAT ISAM tables from the 1980's today, let alone
>> tools to read/modify the records.
>>
>> I suggest storing the records in manner that is human readable
>>
> These are all good points.  There is one concern that I do have, this
> information will be used to audit the billing system.  Is there any
> concern for loss of data if a file rewrite is interrupted by a power
> failure?   When using postgres there are some protections provided to
> reduce this kind of data loss.
>
> However, I do agree that tabular/xml data would stand the test of time.

Text files are a little hard to corrupt to the point nobody can read them.

Obviously if the system is in the middle of writing  the XML node  and
looses power the XML layout is toasted.
To limit data lose  create new XML file each day or month or what ever
time period makes sense.  If you end up with a screwed XML file kiss it
off or note it so a person can manually fix the entries and get most of
the data back.

50 records * 365 * 10 = 182500 records.  Not allot of data for 10 years
of collecting,  but very big for a single XML file

All legitimate Magwerks Corporation quotations are sent in a .PDF file attachment with a unique ID number generated by
ourproprietary quotation system. Quotations received via any other form of communication will not be honored.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail, including attachments, may contain legally privileged, confidential or other
informationproprietary to Magwerks Corporation and is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it
addresses.If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified
thatany unauthorized viewing, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have
receivedthis e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and destroy all occurrences of this
e-mailimmediately.
Thank you.