Re: can function arguments have the type tablename.columnname%TYPE? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Guillaume Lelarge
Subject Re: can function arguments have the type tablename.columnname%TYPE?
Date
List pgsql-general
Le 11/05/2010 16:16, Tom Lane a écrit :
> Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info> writes:
>> Le 11/05/2010 10:28, Dino Vliet a écrit :
>>> I'm writing a plpgsql function in pgadminIII and want to know if the arguments can have the following type:
>>>
>>> tablename.columnname%TYPE
>
>> No, this construct is only available *inside* a PL/pgsql function body
>
> That's incorrect: you can use it in a function declaration too.

Oh sure. With body, I meant the part between the two $$. But you're
right, I should have said "inside the declare and body parts of a
PL/pgsql function".

> Not sure what the OP's problem is exactly --- it might be specific to
> pgAdmin.

IIUC, he means doing something like this:

CREATE FUNCTION f1(arg1 table.column%TYPE ...

Which, AFAICT, is not possible. And you can't do that with pgAdmin, but
you can use the %TYPE in the declare and body parts in pgAdmin.

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org