Re: postgreSQL not working after upgrade to Ubuntu 10.4 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Crawford
Subject Re: postgreSQL not working after upgrade to Ubuntu 10.4
Date
List pgsql-general
AllieH wrote:
> Yesterday I upgraded from Ubuntu 9.10 to 10.4. Unfortunately this has caused
> me serious problems with everything related to postgreSQL. It seems as
> though the new version of ubuntu is requiring me to use PostgreSQL 8.4
> instead of 8.3 which I was previously using. I tried installing 8.4 but I
> can't seem to get the database to start. Has anyone had a similar problems?

Probably, depending on method of upgrade.

Try looking at the output of:
ls /etc/postgresql
ls /etc/init.d/postgresql*
ls /var/lib/postgresql

If you did a basic upgrade you may find that both versions are installed
and you just have to start the old one (then do your dumps so you can
upgrade). Alternately, you may want to use the
/usr/bin/pg_upgradecluster script that is typically available on Ubuntu
and (usually, in reasonably vanilla cases) does the upgrade for you. In
all cases, do your best to get a backup, first.

Cheers,
Steve